Thursday, December 11, 2008

The Day the Earth Stood Still


I was lucky enough to attend a screening for The Day the Earth Stood Still today, which officially comes out tomorrow. Now, firstly, in case you didn't know, this is a remake of the original 1951 movie of the same name. I've seen the original, granted it was a long time ago (not when it came out! I'm not that old!), so I don't really recall very much, but I remember that it was creepy, yet totally unbelievable. But I can't compare the plots, though I've heard that they were different.

However, what I can say is that it was easy to suspend disbelief while watching the plot unfold. Keanu Reeves was just...Keanu. I mean, alot of people think he can't act, but I think this was a great role for him; he played the "alien with no emotions" part really good. Now, wearing a suit and walking towards the camera in slow motion? Just a bonus. He looked mighty delicious and scrumptious. I also love Jennifer Connelly, and her acting in this film was as good as I was expecting it to be. The special effects were pretty good as well. The "robot" looked believable, and so did the orbs.

On the negative, this movie was slow at parts. Many parts. I got a little bored during these, which made it hard to concentrate on what was going on. Jaden Smith's character, Jacob Benson, really needed a good, swift kick in the ass. He was extremely annoying, but, like all movies, learned his lesson in the end. On another bad note, some of the dialogue was lame, but, frankly, it's really easy to look past.

All in all it was good, if slow, entertainment, and I definitely don't regret seeing it. I think that the trailers are slightly misleading because they project this image of the movie being really exciting at all times, keeping you in anxious suspense, and while it's not a bad movie, it doesn't do any of those things. It's not a movie that has alot of action, nor is it a thriller sci-fi movie, so don't go in expecting to see that, because you'll be sorely disappointed. And I'm not going to say don't go see this movie, but I will say that I, personally, wouldn't pay $10 to see it. I would wait for the weekday discounts, because it is good enough to see, but not good enough to wait in a line and pay a ridiculous amount for.

1 comment:

England Simpson said...

So eloquently put... I couldn't agree more!



Lady J